The most legendary team of blackjack players, which beat the casinos for millions of dollars, was the MIT team. Several books (Bringing Down the House, Busting Las Vegas, The House Advantage: Playing the Odds to Win Big in Business), movies (21 and The Last Casino), and numerous magazine stories and television shows have been written about their accomplishments. What follows is a summary of how the MIT team originated, and who were some of the more famous members of this team.
- Spanish 21 is a variant of blackjack in which all the ten-spot cards have been removed, resulting in a 48-card deck.
- The game is offered in land-based and online casinos.
- To compensate for the removal of the tens, and resulting higher house edge, the game has some very liberal playing rules and bonus hands.
- The basic playing strategy is different from a traditional game.
- Depending on the mix of playing rules and number of decks of cards, the house edge can be as low as 0.37% using the Spanish 21 b